IKEA Grönö Set of 2 Frosted Glass Table Lamps
By: Jean Flint
Need to brighten up a room? Consider the IKEA Grönö Set of 2 Frosted Glass Table Lamps, 000.955.88. These two lamps are simple but aesthetically pleasing, provide a lot of illumination, and with E26 11W CFL bulbs are wonderfully energy efficient. I have this set of lamps myself, and I consider it the purchase that most improved the quality of my living space this year.
Each lamp is:
- Inexpensive without looking cheap.
- Unique, mouth-blown frosted glass.
- Efficient at diffusing soft white light around the room.
- Energy efficient. Compact fluorescent lightbulbs use ip to 80% less energy than incandescent bulbs and can last up to 10 times as long.
- Unobtrusive, easy to place just about anywhere.
- Sturdy, but not too heavy. Easy to pick up, but they’re not going to be knocked over at the drop of a hat.
- Conveniently equipped with an 8 foot cord, which in turn has a built-in switch. I keep one by my desk and one by my bed, and can always turn at least one on or off without standing up.
- 5.5 inches square at the base and 13.75 inches tall for the larger, and 4.75 inches square at the base and 11 inches tall for the smaller. They don’t take up much space on top of a cabinet or bookshelf.
- Stable. There’s a groove in the base of the glass fixture for the cord to snake out without causing the lamp to sit crooked.
- Easy to put together. You have the glass fixture, cord attached to a socket for the lightbulb, and the lightbulb itself. That’s all!
These lamps are not:
- Going to provide instant illumination as soon as you turn them on. The CFL bulbs need some warm-up time.
- Spotlights. The Grönö lamps provide a decent amount of diffused light, for more of a spotlight effect take a look at the similarly priced Korby, Sunnan, Basisk, or Aläng table lamps.
- Fancy-looking. They have a very simple, modern look that isn’t too flashy (if you’ll pardon the pun).
- Unbreakable. Perhaps not the best choice around young children or the extremely accident prone.
IKEA also has individual Grönö lamps for sale that come in frosted glass and red, though these are smaller than either of the lamps in the set (4 inches square at the base and 9 inches tall) and do not give off as much light (E12 5W CFL bulbs). Still great for mood lighting, but probably not ideal for reading by.
According to IKEA’s website, these lamps do not come with lightbulbs. On the other hand, the set I purchased did include two E26 11W CFL bulbs in the packaging. Be sure to check that before you leave the store.
Before I purchased the IKEA Grönö Set of 2 Frosted Glass Table Lamps, 000.955.88, my room was lit by one meager floor lamp and at night felt like some sort of cave. Any lamps could have helped with that, but the Grönö lamps do it with bright, energy efficient style. Shine on, Grönö… Shine on.