Review written by Noemi Ortiz
With the cold and flu season here (it can begin as early as October with peaks in January & February), it’s good to have an effective and dependable medicine on hand. Hopefully, you’ll avoid the bug, but it inevitably strikes even the healthiest amongst us. And you may or may not get the flu shot (and it may or may not be effective).
I have taken Theraflu for years, when I’ve been afflicted with a sudden cold or just feel those recognizable, impending symptoms coming on. I usually keep a box in my medicine cabinet or take a few packets with me when I travel. One box comes with six ready to mix packets. It contains acetominophen (used to relieve mild to moderate pain and to reduce fever) and Guaifenesin which thins the mucus in the air passages and makes it easier to cough up the mucus and clear the airways. It also contains a couple of antihistamines, which help to relieve itchy, watery eyes; sneezing, and runny nose caused by allergies, hay fever, and the common cold.
Recently, I’ve gotten a few cold symptoms (sore throat, runny nose, sneezing and dry cough) and have reached for a cup of the hot mixture. It quickly alleviated my symptoms and helped me to feel well-rested. Thus, it is probably best to take the concoction right before bed, as it will help you fall sleep.
Theraflu offers a variety of products (warming syrups, warming caplets, non-medicated vapors), but the product I use most often is the powder, which comes in a variety of flavors based on multi-symptoms. Some of the symptoms it helps with include: nasal congestion, body ache, headache, cough, sore throat, and fever.
- Multi-Symptom Severe Cold (*NEW- Lipton Green Tea & Honey)
- Severe Cold and Flu
- Severe Cold and Cough
- Nasal Chest Congestion
- Cold and Sore Throat
- Sinus and Cold
- Variety of packets based on symptoms
- Fast acting
- Easy to take (open up a packet and mix with hot water)
- Sometimes the flavors are not that tasty and are downright bitter. But it is medicine after all. The one I recently took was the Apple Cinnamon flavored powder drink, which tasted decent.
- This remedy has proven reliable over the years I’ve taken it — just add a little honey to the bitter mixtures and that should make it taste a little better! Make sure to add some good rest.