By: Jean Flint
Before I buy a printer, I need to know what you want it to be capable of. Some make high demands of their printers and as many features as possible; my needs are simple. I just want something inexpensive and uncomplicated that doesn’t take up a lot of space. The HP Deskjet D1560 Inkjet Color Printer CB710A more or less fulfills those conditions.
This general purpose inkjet color printer can print on letter, legal, executive, No. 10 envelopes, index cards, and photo paper, using the HP 21 Black Ink Cartridges and HP 22 Tri-color Ink Cartridges. The in-tray capacity is 80 sheets of plain paper. Maximum power consumption when printing is 16 watts, and when on but not printing is less than 3 watts.
- Good, clear printing quality for its price
- Ideal for college students or home users who only need a basic printer without the bells and whistles
- Great for just printing black ink text documents
- Design is small and compact, doesn’t take up much space
- Lightweight and portable
- Compatible with PCs (Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7) and Macs (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later)
- Supports full-speed USB connection to a desktop or notebook computer
- Does not come with its own USB 2.0 cable, so be prepared
- Relatively slow printing speed: fast draft quality prints 18 pages per minute (ppm) in black ink and 12.5 ppm in black and color ink, normal quality prints 6.8 ppm in blank ink and 2.8 ppm in black and color ink; best quality prints .8 ppm in black ink and .9 ppm in black and color ink
- Does not support memory cards, ethernet, or bluetooth wireless
- Supports only a basic variety of paper sizes; for thicker paper you will probably need to manually insure that the printer grabs each sheet
- Relatively small ink cartridges: HP 21 Black Ink Cartridge prints about 165 pages, HP 22 Tri-color Ink Cartridge prints about 150 pages (varies depending on content of printed pages, etc.)
- Costs as much as or more than printers of the same model line, such as the Deskjet D4360, which offer more speed, connectivity, and supported paper sizes.
- Sometimes rejects HP 21 Black Ink Cartridges as incompatible; if the packaging includes D1460 (among other numbers) in the list of printers it is compatible with, it should be compatible with the D1560 as well
It’s not the fastest machine, but I’m in no hurry and mostly only use it to print short word documents. There are certainly better printers out there, and some day I might upgrade to something with a scanner, but for now the HP Deskjet D1560 Inkjet Printer CB710A is reliable enough to meet my basic needs.