Written by Leslie Foss
I’ve had my Kipling’s suitcase for 3 years now, and I can’t imagine life without it. When I chose this model, I needed something small, but not tiny so I could actually fit all my necessities inside (shoes, curling iron, workout clothes). I wanted a suitcase that did it all–carried my stuff in an organized way, looked attractive, and could be carried on the plane. (Who wants to check their bags nowadays with all the hassle and extra charge?)
This Kipling 22″ New York Expandable fit the bill. It’s 22″H x 14″W x 11½”D, and weighs 8.5 lbs. I grab it for weekend or business trips because it’s lightweight and easy to wheel or carry.
I can fit a lot of things in the generously deep main compartment, and it’s easy to organize my clothes with the extra inside pockets. The outside pockets come in handy for snacks, books, maps, and other things I want quick access to. Although I haven’t taken it on a long (i.e., 2-week) vacation, I’ve used it for one week, and even with all the different clothes I packed, they fit. Zipping up the lid is not hard because the soft fabric can bulge out if necessary, and the extra 3 inches allows you to stack things up generously. A light packer could take this suitcase around the world and be happy.
I love the saturated, watercolor red of my Kipling. In fact, if these suitcases only came in black, I probably wouldn’t be singing its praises right now. There are too many boring suitcases out there, each one more like the next. If you need lots of color in your life as I do, this is another reason to choose this suitcase. It comes in Blue Violet, Midnight Green, Red, Espresso Brown, True Blue, or (if you insist) Black.
I also appreciate the light, patterned lining. It’s stylish and fun. The main zippers are chunky and durable. I’ve never had a problem with them, and their grayish color contrasts nicely with the red fabric.
Here’s a list of all that 22″ New York Expandable offers:
- Dimensions: 22″H x 14″W x 11½”D. Weight: 8.5 lbs, an easy size and weight to lift or roll
- Made of water resistant nylon crinkle fabric
- Expandable zipper will give you 3″ more packing space
- Two outside zipped pockets for things you need on the ready–one with key ring snap
- Large inside mesh pocket on back of lid
- Two more pockets in main compartment, one regular and one made of Wetpack to keep wet items separate.
- Ribbed corner protectors and back panel skid eliminate wear at stress points
- Telescopic multistage handle with locking button
- A beautiful rainbow of colors to choose from
- Comes with an address tag holder
- Last but not least, comes with a monkey key chain!
Cons: Are there any? I honestly can’t think of anything, unless the $248.00 price tag gives you pause. The price reflects the great quality. I think it is worth the investment.
If you’re looking for a small suitcase you can bring on the plane that has a great look and will last a long time, you can find it all in this suitcase.